- 1/2 c butter (softened but not melted)
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 10 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c orange cider spice mix
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl beat butter, shortening, and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg, vanilla, and food coloring, mix until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl combine flour, cider spice, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture 1/3 at a time until well combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls, place on baking sheet with parchment paper, and flatten slightly with a sugared glass or fingertips. (If you want the cookies to really glisten, roll in sugar or cider mix before flattening).
- Baking at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack.
This same recipe can be used to make regular sugar cookies, just omit the food coloring and cider spice.