- 1 c shortening
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c crushed peppermint candies
- 1/2 c milk chocolate chips
- Wilton’s peppermint flavored candy melts
- Crush peppermints and set aside. You can use a food processor, or put the candies in a bag, wrap in a towel, and crush with a hammer.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and sugars until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.
- In a separate medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture 1/3 until well combined.
- Stir in peppermint candies and chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough four hours or overnight.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place two inches apart on sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit for 12 minutes.
- Place on cooling racks.
- Once cookies are completely cool, melt candy melts according to package directions.
- Dip cookies in candy melts and place on parchment paper until candy melts harden. You can put sprinkles on the melts before they harden.
This recipe is versatile. You can leave out the cocoa powder to have chocolate chip peppermint cookies. Leave out cocoa and chocolate chips for peppermint cookies. Skip dipping them in white chocolate peppermint. Add some peppermint extract to pump up the peppermint flavor. Just have fun with it!