Welcome! This is the first sewing tutorial in a series of four where we will make a felt breakfast set. Play food is a great beginner’s sewing project and can be altered to make food as simple or as fancy as you’d like.
This tutorial will focus on creating the set with a sewing machine, but you could also hand sew the items. If you don’t sew, you could use felt fabric glue to glue the pieces together. When making felt foods please keep the age of the child you’re making the project for in mind. Children who still put things in their mouth should never be given small objects as these would pose a choking hazard.
When making felt food you can use whatever type of felt you desire. Craft felt is easy to work with, cheap and easily obtainable but it will not wear as well as wool felt. Craft felt may get pilly over time, but you can wash it with warm soapy water and use a lint shaver to get rid of pills. If the item doesn’t contain a pipe cleaner or glue, you could even run it through the washing machine.
Wool felt will wear better and last longer. If you’re creating something that you’d like to pass down from child to child, wool felt is best. If you plan to use wool felt, you may want to first practice on craft felt so you don’t waste money on the more expensive stuff. I typically use eco-fi felt which is made of recycled plastic bottles.
Let’s get started! You will need the following to create your Bendable Felt Bacon:
- Any brown colored felt for the bacon body
- A lighter cream, white, or tan piece of felt for the bacon ‘fat’
- A pipe cleaner for each piece of bacon
- Coordinating thread (monofilament thread is nice because it’s clear and will blend with any color)
- Sewing machine or hand sewing needle
- The PDF containing full instructions and photos: Bendable Bacon Tutorial.