Today we will sew the exposed contoured core pad, the second pad pictured on the left hand side of the screen.
What You’ll Need
- The ExposedContouredCoreOverCastEdge PDF. Download by clicking the link. Follow along on your computer, or print out. Please do NOT sell the pattern. I have provided it free of charge to help mamas who want to try mama cloth but cannot afford it.
- Fabric for the pad body top: flannel, jersey, or any other cotton or absorbent material.
- Fabric for the pad body bottom: anti-pill or blizzard fleece. These thicker fleece types naturally repel liquids and make a good water-resistant bottom while providing a non-slip surface against your underwear.
- Fabric for the pad core. You want absorbent fabrics for your core. These could include cotton flannel, cotton birdseye, cotton terry cloth, bamboo, hemp, etc. Basically any thirsty fabric will work. Just remember that if you use microfiber or zorb, be sure to sandwich them between fabrics that are safe to be against the skin.
For the pads shown, I have used three layers of bamboo fleece. Bamboo and hemp are good choices if you want a thinner pad as they are thin, but absorbent. 2-3 layers of bamboo or hemp will give you medium flow absorbency; use more for heavy, postpartum, or overnight.
If you use flannel, 6 layers would be a good medium/heavy flow. You would want to add more for heavier absorbencies.
- Sewing machine and notions (thread, needles, scissors, presser feet, etc)
- Snaps – metal or plastic. Plastic will be more durable, but metal may be easier to get. I have used KAM snaps here. They are really fantastic quality and the pliers are easy to use. I use a size 20 socket and stud, with size 16 snaps.
Plastic snap pliers can all be found at JoAnn Fabric. I have seen metal snap pliers at Wal-Mart.
If you can’t find snaps, dry cleaners or alteration shops can often apply them. Or you can use velcro or a diaper pin if you have to.
If you have a serger, obviously you can do all this on the serger as well. Learn more about cloth pads here. Happy sewing!