Looking for a fun and easy way to create a one of a kind piece of clothing for your child to wear this Thanksgiving? Look no further! Our Scrappy Turkey can be created with little fabric, minimal sewing experience, and is as versatile as it is cute.
You can go simple and let the turkey’s feathers lay flat, sewn down to the piece of clothing. Or you can give them a bit of flair and let them stand up as those shown in the picture do. Little hands love a 3D piece of clothing that lets them explore. Using different types of fabric that have different textures is also fun for them. The fabric choices and embellishments are endless and entirely up to you so that you can create a truly unique piece just for your little turkey.
To create your turkey you will need:
– An item to attach your turkey to. You could use a bib, t-shirt, even the butt of a pair of pants. You can hand make the article of clothing or buy a ready to wear piece to embellish.
– Several small pieces of fabric large enough to cut your turkey and feathers from. Colors and fabric type can vary to suit your own tastes.
-An iron on fusible stabilizer that can be sewn. I prefer Heat and Bond Lite – sewable.
– Sewing machine, scissors, thread, pins. Hand sewing needle – optional.
– Embellishments such as ribbons or buttons – optional.
– The detailed and illustrated Scrappy Turkey Tutorial PDF available for download here. Print actual size DO NOT scale to fit: Scrappy Turkey Tutorial.
The most important part of this project is to have fun. Your turkey does NOT have to be perfect to be cute and enjoyed by a child. They love whimsy and having an item made just for them.
This pattern is provided free of charge. You may do what you want with your finished piece, but please do not try to sell the pattern.